Tuesday, March 25, 2008

House Haunting

House-hunting, especially in current market conditions, is a bitch. And then some.

First - the inept agent. My first agent (we'll call him/her E) is absolutely useless. E has "serviced" so many folks from my workplace (this just sounds wrong, but I'll keep it there for the fun of it), that she/he completely ignored my simple brief (2 bedder, modern, furnished, west side) and showed me places that other folks from work were moving out of! They were 3 bedders, old, unfurnished and in the north. If she/he was my agency, I'd fire her/him. Oh wait, she/he is my agent. And yes - I fired her/him.

Enter - the ept agent (I know ept is not a word, but it should be - opposite of inept.... come to think of it, it could be outept... but I like ept better and this is my blog... so ept it is). We'll call her/him D. Now D has never "serviced" (I'm enjoying this) anyone from my workplace. She/he took all of 2 viewings and 5 minutes of briefing to understand what I was looking for. About 10-12 apartment viewings later, I saw it. A place that spoke to me. A place that said, come live in me. And above all, a place I could afford in this crazy real estate market. I move in May 1.

There are a few disturbing things about D though. She (ok - i'm over the gender neutrality thing) wants to party with my bald male businessman friend and me at St James Power Station (popular teeny bopper club in Singapore). This is not alarming in itself given how dashing and irresistable the two of us are, but apparently she has a 26 year old daughter (alarm 1) who plays in a band and D thinks I should meet her (alarm 2). Oh and the daughter is also getting married next year (alarm 3). It's all very confusing and disturbing. I need to lie down.

6 comments:

Mahogany said...

What's so hard? D hates the prospective son-in-law and would rather have her daughter live in a nifty little 2-bedder out West. Right?

I think you and D and the "bald businessman" will have a rocking time. Especially after the bald businessman realizes this is how you refer to him.

kd said...

I'm hurt! You found an apartment and I was not informed...and you are going out on a date with D!

gajman said...

Mahog. It's more disturbing than hard!

KD - you i'll deal with separately!!! :) And yes - I'm going on a hot exotic date with a 60 year old woman..... NOT!!!!

Beta said...

I have a better explanation:-

D (or is it Double-D) is secretly in love with her prospective son-in-law. She is very religious and before it turns into incest, she wants to get her daughter out of the picture. In walk two handsome dudes, and being a shrewed but not bald businesswoman, she decides to offer her daughter two for the price of one. All this while she makes the usual %age on the west-side 2-bedder house where she hopes her daughter will divide her time equally between the two dudes.

This is a good script for a chinese soap opera. Later in the story, I will have the daughter murder the two dudes in their sleep while double-D dies of old age, leading to the reunion of the original couple.

srikant said...

Oh I fired the E a long time ago as well. Guess she is the same servicing W that you are referring to!

I'm wondering what inspired you to move into a house alone after living a happy life with room mates?

On a separate note, at the risk of spoiling the party, can I get D's phone number and rest of the name(offline)? :-)I'll be out on the streets pretty soon!

bobthaker said...

Nits,
Let me get this right- somebody wants to be "serviced" by you and she wants her daughter to join in.

So sorry for sounding daft- eh wheres the problem? Especially for a swinging bachelor like you.
I am disappointed by you- man all you need to do is think "OK so what would my 45 year old hip & swinging cousin do?? DUHHHH!!!!