Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bombay Duck / Bombay Blues

I couldn't decide between the 2 titles for this post... so I went with the power of AND!

Don't know if this is true or just my imagination, but there seems to be a deluge of books about Mumbai recently. I, for one, have read three and am going through my fourth one in the past year or so - Black Friday, Maximum City, Shantaram and now Sacred Games. The scary part is the one common element among all of these - the notorious Mumbai underworld.

Black Friday, also turned into an interesting-without-being-very-gripping movie, deals with the meticulous planning of the Mumbai blasts in '93. The fact that it's so fact based is scary.

Maximum City is probably the one I related to the most. It's Suketu Mehta's narration of this experiences and attitudes to being a born-again Mumbaikar. It's a very colorful and rich description of the pot boiler Mumbai is. It's sets Mumbai up to be a masala flick with all the ingredients - right from mudane issues like lack of sanitized water coming through the tap (yep - for us Mumbaikars this is a mundane issue), to the role of the underworld in Bollywood (I love this word - I don't give a fuck if half of filmdom thinks this is a derogatory word - I think it's cool).

Shantaram, on the other hand, is a page turner. It's a brilliantly told real story with what I think is significant (and well used) creative freedom. I'll say it - it's one of the best books I've read. I love the juxtaposition (another word I love) of a great story (escaped Aussie convict living in Mumbai slums getting involved in the thick of the Mumbai underworld and fighting a war in Afghanistan), rich characters (religeous mafia don, indian cowboy who is also our hero's man friday, slum folk with aspiration of the world and the standing babas) and philosophical detours (especially love the conversation about right, wrong and the ultimate complexity - God).

I'm now reading Sacred Games. 150 pages into this 900 page epic, it's a movie screenplay with gore, personal struggle and love as key ingredients. More about this when I finish.

Net - While I'm happy Mumbai, being the manic wonder it is, is getting it's due in pop culture, I wish we'd see more of a balanced perspective about the city. It's not all about the underworld you know! It's also about hope, millions of personal struggles everyday and basically the joie de vivre.

Let me know if you've read any other good books about a different side of the city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nitin! Shantaram is in my top 3 books of all time. Can't wait for the sequel!!!

Warner Bros bought the rights for the movie and it will star Johnny Depp supposedly!

kd said...

Please give credit where credit is due. I introduced you to these books.... =)

Another book is "Love and Longing in Bombay" also by Vikram Chandra. One short story is the prequel to Sacred Games.